Westwood Global Energy Group is a leading provider of market intelligence, commercial analysis and strategic advice to the global energy industry. Powered by proprietary, industry-leading data & analytics, our insights support both day-to-day commercial operations as well as critical decision-making at the highest levels of energy related corporations as well as the financial sector. We are currently looking for a group of Research Analysts to join our teams in our Aberdeen or London offices. The successful applicants will focus on primary and secondary research & analysis across a range of energy markets to support Westwood’s global client base.
About the role
This research analyst role is a great opportunity for new or recent graduates or undergraduates seeking internship roles to join an intellectually stimulating environment where they will be supported by experienced market analysts to learn from. Roles are being considered on a full time and fixed-term intern basis. They will be given responsibilities that directly impact the products we deliver to our clients, help maintain our world-class content output and help our clients and the wider industry navigate the opportunities and challenges currently facing the Energy sector.
- Primary & secondary research into the energy markets with a particular focus on Offshore Wind, CCS, Hydrogen, the Offshore oil & gas supply-chain or the Onshore sector, including the Land Rig and Pipeline markets.
- Develop detailed domain knowledge on a specific industry sector and its role in the global energy transition.
- Monitor and analyse global Energy industry news flow relevant to their role. For example, tracking oil and gas fields or offshore wind projects through the entire project lifecycle, monitoring the commercial performance of key offshore stakeholders or reading through and commenting on the latest press release from OPEC.
- Build and maintain a network of relevant industry players.
- Use both the news flow and your personal network of contacts to update and improve the quality and breadth of data covered by relevant Westwood products such as Atlas New Energies, WindLogix, SubseaLogix, PlatformLogix or the Global Land Drilling Rig Database. Maintain a news flow for our clients via the DailyLogix feature.
- Identify current trends and developments in the Energy industry and translate findings to the Company’s models / forecasts and research reports in collaboration with senior members of the team. Develop an in-depth understanding of projects, supply-chain, commercial landscapes and contracting trends and utilise this information to provide a view on both project timeframes and the likeliness of project sanction. Communicate this to clients via calls, presentations or DailyLogix news pieces.
- Collaboration with other Westwood research and consulting teams across our global offices to provide unique and best-in-class insights to our clients across the energy industry.
- Generation of market commentary, written reports and delivery of presentations to clients and internal stakeholders, including representing Westwood at wider industry events.
- Intellectual Curiosity: As an analyst for a global thought-leader, the role requires a genuine interest in the macro-economic, business and market dynamics of the global energy industry. You should be especially eager to understand your specific field and how it fits into the wider energy industry.
- Ownership: Westwood’s analysts are expected to take ownership of their market coverage and analysis, leveraging expertise across the group but also demonstrating independence and pride in their work.
- Analytical Skillset: The successful candidate will have a problem-solving & methodical mindset as well as the ability to collate, process and interpret large and diverse volumes of data.
- Diligence: A dedication to excellence is expected and the successful candidate will demonstrate a high degree of efficiency and accuracy in written and quantitative work. An understanding of best practice with regards to data sources, including which to trust, is vital.
- Communication Skills: The successful candidate will be expected to liaise directly with Westwood’s clients at all levels, therefore the ability to receive and summarise information as well as clearly and professionally communicate work both internally and externally is key. Excellent verbal & written English is essential.
- Team Player: Ability to work cohesively with colleagues and form professional relationships at all levels.
- Eagerness to Develop: The successful candidate will always be striving to improve both their understanding of relevant markets and develop their skillset to further both themselves and the business. Examples of this could include learning new data science programmes (Python, R) or attending conferences.
Essential Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office in particular Microsoft Excel (data handling/manipulation)
- Excellent verbal and written English
Desirable Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as Geoscience, Engineering, Economics or Business
- Experience with forecasting/modelling
- Experience handling large data sets
To apply, please send your CV (and covering letter should you wish) to firstname.lastname@example.org