Westwood’s Global Land Drilling Rigs Tracker
Each month Westwood’s onshore team provides a global update on onshore drilling rigs, with data sourced from and analysed using, Global Land Rigs. Bookmark this page for regular updates on onshore drilling rigs.
Updated – 17th January, 2023
- ADNOC launched its new gas unit, ADNOC Gas, effective from 01 January 2023. This new division will focus on all processing, operations and marketing and is a joint venture between existing ADNOC Gas Processing and ADNOC LNG businesses. This is a move that will grow its gas production and processing capacity.
- Saudi Aramco has sought expressions of interest for the second phase of its Jafurah Phase 2 development. Aramco stated that at least five EPC packages will be included, following a raft of contract awards in 2021 as part of Phase 1. One package will include a gas treatment, a second will involve utilities and off-site facilities, a third will see work on Jafurah’s gas compression facilities and two pipeline packages will also be on offer, combined requiring more than 830km of pipeline.
- Sinopec has set a new vertical drilling record of 8,866m at its Yuanshen-1 exploration well in the Sichuan Basin by utilising Sinopec’s ultra-deep carbonate drilling technology, which permits drilling in deep hydrocarbon reservoirs. To further explore the deep oil and gas basins, Sinopec unveiled ‘Project Deep Earth’ Natural Gas Base in Sichuan and Chongqing’ in which it will conduct deep E&P activities in collaboration with several subsidiaries.
- KCA Deutag reported three contract extensions in Oman; the 1,500 HP T-849 and T-858 rigs and the 2,000 HP T-899 rig. The T-899 rig will also be electrified, allowing it to be connected to the grid with the aim to reduce annual emissions by 2,550 tonnes. The company also secured a contract for its 2,000 HP T-63 rig to drill two wells in the Kurdistan region in Iraq, while its 1,500 HP T-208 rig won a contract in Europe for 2023.
- Sonatrach has launched a tender for the supply of 18 drilling rigs in Algeria. The tender includes four 2,000 HP and 14 1,500 HP units. Signatures for the contracts are expected to be signed in 3Q 2023.
Analyst, Onshore Energy Services